Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Breaking Up is Hard to Do

I'm sorry, Etsy: It’s not you, it’s me.

There comes a time when you just have to admit that it wasn’t meant to be. I’ve tried twittering, facebooking, improving my photos, increasing and endlessly tweaking my listings, and renewing over and over, all in the hope of making things work with you, and it isn’t working out. I just feel like I am doing all the giving.

I’ll always remember the good times. Back when I used to get excited about every view and heart. My first sale! Remember that? I spent all the proceeds on shipping supplies. I still have most of those.

Oh, I know, I came running back once before. I swore it would be different this time. I would keep it light. Just a showcase, I said. A place to list my overstock. No more pressuring you to be something that you aren’t. But when I sat down to list new items and a deep feeling of futility came over me, I knew: It’s over. I’m not made for that kind of relationship. I need to see some sales, or why bother?

Really it’s best for you, too, Etsy. Everyone says there are too many sellers here. I know how to fix that, by one.

I know there are thousands of special somebodies out there for you, people for whom you are exactly the right fit. You will make those somebodies very happy.

What’s that? No, I’m not with Artfire. I think I need to just be with my blog for awhile. I’m not leaving in a huff: I’ll let my listings expire.

I’ve learned so much from you! I hope we can stay friends. You’ll always be my favorite source for handmade soap. You know I wish you all the best.



Love always,

Potterchik

5 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

I have fought the good fight, staying away from Etsy and you have confirmed my gut instinct that when it seems too good to be true, it probably is!
From the first time I heard of Etsy and typed ceramics in the search box, then gasped when I saw 999,999 items, I knew it wasn't for me! Sorry it didn't work out for you :(

DirtKicker Pottery said...

What a perfect letter!!! I totally can identify.
The longer I go without renewing my listings.. the deeper my Etsy store gets buried.
There must be a better way.

SHANNA WHEELOCK said...

ha! loved this letter. i totally get it!

Felicia Kramer said...

Oh gosh ... I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat and don't know what I should do. I too had such high hopes. Not giving up yet, but the time and effort I put in relative to sales may just push me over the edge.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this beautiful letter. You make me think, thank you! Wishing you the best and I follow your blog now.

- Nancy