Friday, November 6, 2009

The Joy of the Unnecessary


There's something about the unnecessary accessory that appeals to me. In a way, handmade pottery is all an unnecessary luxury, when plastic or cheap mass-produced ware will serve the same function as well. Sometimes I like to make things that push that quality, that sense of unnecessary luxury, to a point that almost feels decadent. The sets I was working on yesterday feel like that to me: not content to be mere salt and pepper shakers, they have to have their own little tray, to literally underline their preciousness.

Now I read that, and it sounds stupid, as it often does when I try to explain why I make what I do. I am better off quoting Stephen King, when asked why he writes horror: "What makes you think I have a choice?"

Anyway, getting to the point: Lookie what I made!


1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

I love that line - what makes you think I have a choice - so, so very true. The salt and pepper shakers and their tray are lovely, sometimes there is joy and beauty and thus necessity in the unnecessary.