Sunday, April 21, 2013

So Confusing!

In my quest to translate my soda glaze palette to Cone 6, I've downloaded the Insight Glaze Calculation software. Why do things the hard way? Right now I've got the trial version but I can see how this software would pay for itself over time - assuming I can ever figure it out! That's my task today.

I get asked a lot why I don't just use glazes that are already on the web. Julia Galloway is one potter who has graciously shared her yummy recipes with the world, and there are certainly others. It's hard to explain, but it's important to me to increase the sum of glaze recipes available to potters who would like to go the ^6 route. We can't all just utilize the recipes of a few. I see nothing wrong with using others' recipes - I do it all the time, and make my recipes available as well - but I also want to contribute to the sum of resources out there. Not everyone has that option, but I do. 

So: Insight! I thought I could just sit down and start entering recipes, but looking at this screen, that's not gonna work. Fortunately Insight comes with an instruction manual. A 139-page instruction manual.

When all else fails, read the directions.

EDIT: Lucky me. DigitalFire has a whole section of video tutorials! Gonna check those out first.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Timely post for me. I am taking glaze formulation in the fall. Also waiting to hear about a grant to explore glaze layering. This software could be a good tool. Update later please after you've had time to play with it. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Timely post for me. I am taking glaze formulation in the fall. Also waiting to hear about a grant to explore glaze layering. This software could be a good tool. Update later please after you've had time to play with it. Thank you!

DirtKicker Pottery said...

I'm using "Glaze Master" http://www.glazemaster.com - I'm not sure how it compares to "insight". It has a big instruction guide too. Every time I use it I understand a little bit more about making glazes and using the program. A very slow process for me.

Lori Watts said...

Cindy - Thanks, will check out Glazemaster too.

Lori Buff said...

Video tutorials are great when they are done well. It really helps to see someone navigating the program correctly.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you develop.

Unknown said...

Keep us posted on your journey! I downloaded insight but got overwhelmed and never really learned it...maybe it's time to take a second look?