Saturday, February 23, 2013

"You Gotta Make Jewelry"

I've been meaning to add jewelry items to my line for a while. Many potters have told me, "You gotta make jewelry!" as it utilizes the small spaces in the kiln and, for whatever reason, more people will pay for bodily ornamentation than for utilitarian items.

I wasn't resisting, exactly, but I really wanted it to be simple, and it seemed like all of the good simple designs were already in use (like this one, and this one.) I have no doubt that someone is already making one like this somewhere, too, but I haven't seen it, sooo...
Anyway! Finally I am in the jewelry business.
The pendant is about 1.25" of soda-fired porcelain, on an 18" brown leather cord, with lobster clasp and a 2" extender. I got about 5 out of the firing that were this bright, peachy orange; the others range from cream to black, many with mottlings of peach or silver. I am offering them for $18, which seems to be in the neighborhood of what others are asking. (Want one? ) Whaddaya think? 

5 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

Very nice! I make a swirl pendant as well. I suppose nothing is new when it comes to design, but everyone handles it in their own way, which makes it their own. I mostly raku fire mine, occasionally firing them in the gas kiln. Here is a link to one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47502358@N00/5666308115/in/set-72157602879225682

I haven't had much luck selling jewelry on Etsy but when I take them to shows they sell pretty quickly.

Lori Watts said...

Yeah, Etsy sorta hates me, too. I have better luck just promoting my own website.
That is a beautiful pendant, at the link!

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

Love your pendant. And thanks for linking to mine. They are a wonderful way to make use of kiln space that would otherwise be wasted.

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Nice!
Thanks for linking to my little heart pendant :)

Have you ever made ceramic beads? I've been wanting to make some, but never seem to get around to it.

Lori Watts said...

Cindy _ I haven't made beads because I don't want to be bothered with the whole stringing-them-on-refractory-wire gig. I do make refrigerator magnets and chopstick rests to take up the small spaces in the kiln, though.

That little heart would make a great fridge magnet, too!