Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Glaze Test 11-12

From Ceramic Arts Daily's 33 Tried and True Glaze Recipes, via Peg of Peg's Pots, I have a recipe for Jim Brown's Blue, which was a pale cobalt-and-rutile confection in Peg's stoneware trials. I have a made two small alterations - replaced 5% of the whiting with talc, and added 1% boron - to avoiding the bubbly, gritty reaction that some glazes get in response to the soda vapor.

Here's my version:

Whiting                23
Talc                        5
Custer Spar         60
EPK                     12
----------------------------
Cobalt                .75%
Rutile                 4%
Boron                 1%

The surface should be frosty matte.

1 comment:

Claudia MacPhee said...

Good luck with this glaze. I tried it in my wood kiln.....ran like a river! Not a keeper for me. And it wasn't even in a 'hot' spot.