Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lots Oribe


You ever have one of those days when you just can't get out of your own way? Today is sort of like that. Or more like the universe is making my to-do list for me.

I did manage to unload the kiln. This load was heavy on classic turquoise oribe, a dependable glaze for me. I also tested a green oribe, which was darker and moodier, with some gunmetal lowlights. This was successful enough that I think it will become a part of my palette. Note to self; the upper right hand corner of the kiln was pretty dry, like the soda didn't fully reach it. Might be better to put more heavily glazed pieces in that area; alternatively, I might push the damper all the way in during the soda application, to force the vapor to circulate around the kiln longer before rushing out the stack. (Will that work? I don't know. I just made that up.) It might help in another way; this load seems a bit underreduced, which is no problem for cobalt & oribe, but the flashing slips are quite pastel. Doing back to back firings this time: Next load goes in on Saturday.

The pots here are headed for Portsmouth, NH, to a fine kitchen goods shop called Attrezzi.

1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

Wow, love those colors, the purple and the turquoise.