Saturday, April 17, 2021

So What is Aesthetic Tension Anyway?

In my upper level classes I talk a lot about aesthetic tension. It's a design tool, like repeat with variation, or unexpected proportions, that we can use to engage the viewer, or in this case the user. Aesthetic tension is when two competing or even contradictory aesthetics are in evidence. It is one of my favorite tricks to employ. 

This mug gives us an example! The throwing lines are soft, but fresh; the decal image is crisp but degraded. 

This concludes our lesson for today. 


2 comments:

smartcat said...

The cup/ mug is always an interesting object. Now my brain is going into warp speed!





Lori Watts said...

I can never make enough of them. Luckily mugs are one of my favorite forms to make! The most intimate pottery.