Friday, January 27, 2017

Well, that didn't go as planned!


Remember I was going to make simpler mugs for the Mug Season fundraiser? Hahaha, j/k, really they ended up covered with stamps and slip trailing. Character is destiny, I guess! Above are a couple of my favorites.

I was especially pleased with the quilted look, created with a homemade stamp. It's just a bit of clay rolled into a tapered shape, with a flattened end. I pinched that end into a rough heart, then rolled a very thin coil, and attached a heart-shaped outline to the flattened end. It is only bisqued - a stamp fired to maturity sticks to wet clay and won't make a clean impression.

 It's big-ish, for a stamp, probably about an inch and a half, so I had intended it for an accent stamp - just one per mug. But its proportion seemed to suggest a different approach, and here we are.
Still have a few more mugs to go; I am having so much fun it's unlikely these will be simple, either! Oh, well, best laid plans and all that. Expect these mugs to be available at coffee shops in Central Maine starting in April.

No comments: