Thursday, October 15, 2009

Regretsy

I've sort of soured on Etsy (more on that later.) I know some people do very well there, but for me it has turned out to be a ton of work for s few small sales, amd I've decided if I am going to be promoting my bum off it might as well be my own site I am promoting. Also, while there are TONS of good artists on Etsy, and there are an especial lot of fine potters, the site is starting to take on a cutesy sort of aesthetic which just is not me.  And it's fair to say that there are an equal number of poorly executed works there. Don't even try to suggest that the site might benefit from jurying, in the Etsy forums; people there value the openness, even at the cost of a reputation for some pretty bad art. 

But I had to laugh when someone directed me to Regretsy. It's mean, and some of the works posted there are not deserving of ridicule. (For example, I rather like the silk rag necklace, and might purchase it myself if I had that kind of money.) But it's funny, too, and on the grounds that any publicity is good publicity, I thought I'd pass on the link.It's better if you don't read the captions and just look at the works. 

2 comments:

Linda Starr said...

one persons junk is another persons treasure, some art I have seen in high end galleries I wouldn't want either. It is kind of hard to wade through all the site on etsy it is so large - how would one find a persons work.

Lori Watts said...

The cool thing is, all of the photos are linked to the seller's Etsy store -- so if someone does find their treasure at Regretsy, they can click to Etsy and purchase it.