Sunday, November 2, 2008

Apple Crisp for a Cold November Day


I like to tell my students that functional pottery is artwork which is not finished until it is in use. With that in mind, I thought I'd share an image of one of my baking dishes in use, and a recipe.
In Maine in the fall, apples are plentiful and unbelievably good -- fresh and tart. I got a big bag from the Apple Man -- just this old fellow who walks around town selling apples.

My First Ever Apple Crisp
  • 4 cups chopped MacIntosh Apples (about 5)
  • 2/3 c. brown sugar (pack)
  • 1/2 c. flour
  • 1/2 c. rolled oats
  • 3/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/3 c. softened butter

Place apples in baking dish. In mixing bowl, blend other ingredients until crumbly. Spread over apples. Starting in cold oven, bake 40-45 minutes. Serve immediately. 

I have a confession to make: I am planning to have some of this for breakfast tomorrow. Come on, all those oats and apples, it has to be healthy. 



No comments: