Friday, June 13, 2008

Migration


When the days get long and the weather gets warm, it's really hard for me to be inside, in my dark studio whose sole window faces north. The solution? A summer studio, of course! Hubby built this out of recycled materials rescued from a demolition site across the street from our house. He built it mostly because he had the lumber, and he wanted to build something, but as soon as I saw it constructed, I knew what its purpose was. We carried my wheel outside today, and I spent the afternoon happily making pots.
This seasonal transition is deeply satisfying in some way, perhaps harking back to an ancestral memory of traveling to summer hunting grounds in the Paleolithic era. The structure itself reminds me of summer camp -- not that I ever went to summer camp, but if I did I might have slept in a cabin not unlike this one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"This seasonal transition is deeply satisfying in some way, perhaps harking back to an ancestral memory of traveling to summer hunting grounds in the Paleolithic era."

Or maybe it's just because there's no longer 3' of snow on the ground.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

How wonderful to have such a handy hubby. Love the summer camp pottery cabin!... Also, thanks for tutorial on your butter dishes. Am enjoying your blog!