Friday, October 28, 2011

June Perry Says:

This was such a helpful comment from June Perry of Shambala Pottery, that I wanted to share it with all of you:
"Any glaze with around 15% whiting, dolomite, barium or a combination of any of those or with some boron or talc, will repel the soda and should work fine. The color may not be the same as in a non soda or salt atmosphere.
High clay shinos work pretty well, as does temmoku, amber celadons, many ash glazes, Shaner oribe, salt yellow, white salt (most of these are in John Britt's cone 10 glaze book). There's also a large file of soda/salt glazes and slips that I and a couple of other members put on my yahoo soda salt group. You have to be a member to access them (no charge - just a way to keep spammers out). It's not an active site; but it's more of a repository for the recipes, photos of some soda/salt kiln and members work."

June also writes a very entertaining blog.

I love the internet.

1 comment:

Lori Buff said...

Not only do I agree with you that this is a useful comment but I love that you have presented it as an article and given June so much credit. Potters are the nicest, most sharing people.