It was my birthday on Saturday. It was a great day, thanks - a coastal hike, a roadside stand for dinner, a fire in the backyard - but that's not the most significant thing about this birthday. It was my 62nd, which technically qualifies me to start collecting Social Security.
I will not be doing that, not this year, not next. The one after is not looking good either. You can probably guess the problem: I've been a potter & pottery instructor most of my life. I had a couple office jobs here & there while I was building momentum, but overall? I did not make much money. There was always enough, even if sometimes it meant my house was 55° all winter, but never much. Whatever extra I had, I saved, so I have a little built up now, but it might...might... carry me a year. So I work. I keep working.
I know how very lucky I am: I love my work. I get a lot of satisfaction from both aspects of it - the making and the teaching. I don't intend to stop doing those things while I am still physically able, but it might be good to do somewhat less of them now that I am older. That's the unfortunate part: doing less is probably not going to be possible, not for a long time.
All this is by way of explanation & a little bit apology. I know I used to post a lot of content here, available free to whoever happened to show up. I also know it never feels good when you're asked to pay for something that used to be free, and that's sorta what happened when I started doing most of my posting on Patreon. I can tell you being the one to have to ask for money sucks, too, and I wish I had enough to never have to ask, but that's just not the way of it. I'm sorry if it's annoying! I'm trying to build it up to a point where I can afford to dial back the more physically demanding parts of my job to a point that I can do without being exhausted & in pain all the time.
At the same time, I fully understand that many people here will simply not have money lying around for this! We're all kinda in the same boat.
If you want to follow me for free on Patreon, you can do that at this link. The free teri doesn't have an official name but in my head I call then (you?) "Friends of The Mess." If it feels like it's worth $1.50/month to you, subscribe! If not, don't - I'm still delighted to have you there. I'm still doing my thing, still excited to share what I learn (often the hard way!) There will still be content here from time to time, but more over there.
Wishing us all joy & abundance in the coming months & years.
Oh wait, almost forgot: did a surprise drop yesterday! 1 bowl, 4 mugs, 5 lil sippers.
Check em out here.



No comments:
Post a Comment