Sunday, May 22, 2011

Full Steam Ahead


Look at the steam! We've had a lot of rain lately, and my bricks are stored under inadequate (to say the least) cover. On the list: build a roof extension off the summer studio to keep the door bricks out of the weather. This is still early in the firing; my next step is to soak some newspapers in slurry and seal up the door. This is a messy process but well worth it in terms of fuel efficiency and controlling the atmosphere.

I am full-steam in another sense as well: since finishing the kiln, it feels like I am always firing, about to fire, or cleaning up after firing. Which is called being a potter. So far I have had no trouble finding homes for the inventory; my theory was correct in that lack of pots was the main obstacle to sales. It hasn't traslated to much more money (not yet) as I still have a mountain of kiln-building debt to kill off, and fuel costs are kicking my ass. Still, I am gaining on it.

This firing will unload Thursday. 

1 comment:

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

Hope the firing went well and I look forward to seeing some of the results.