Saturday, April 6, 2013

The First Thing to Try

With 60-something minutes left, I am getting a jump-start on my project; reformulating my glazes to melt at ^6. I've been doing it in my head for a while now, of course, and today I am mixing up the first test that is not someone else's glaze (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but an attempt to alter my own glazes.

When something seems daunting, it's often best to try the easiest thing first. In this case the easiest thing is a one-for-one substitution, Nepheline Syenite for Custer Feldspar. A higher temp feldspar exchanged for a lower. This will work better for some glazes than others - I have one glaze that's  already 71% Neph Sy, so I'll have to try a different approach with that one - but what better place to start than with my current darling, Jim Brown's Blue, which goes like this:

Whiting        2800
Custer Spar  6000
EPK             1200

Cobalt             75
Rutile            400
At ^6, it might look like this:

Whiting        2800
Neph Sy  6000
EPK             1200

Cobalt             75
Rutile            400
Will it work? Well, I don't know! But it's starting point so my plan today is to  mix up versions of many of my glazes with that simple switch.

First test firing is April 24th.
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails