Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Finished Platter


Just wanted to follow up with the finished platter from this post a few weeks ago.  I've been invited to do a guest post for Goodwill Northern New England's blog, because the silver platter which served as the mold was a Goodwill find; as are many of the items that I use for shape or texture. The post is slated to appear November 20th.

I was pleased with this piece, and will be keeping it, for alas, it was among the many items which warped during the last firing. I am putting this down to a low-grog body, and also handling the piece while it was too flexible to come off the mold. My impatience is costly! As sometimes happens, I am half-pleased to have a reason to keep this piece; it will be my holiday candy tray, for my new favorite Christmas candy: chocolate covered pretzel sticks.

The warp is minor, and I will address it with those little stick-on rubber bumps: 3 bumps equal stable footing. They do render a piece inappropriate for oven, dishwasher, or microwave, however, so this one will stay with me.

7 comments:

Linda Starr said...

The platter came out great. I didn't know if it was warped it couldn't go in the oven, microwave and especially the dishwasher. When I put my platters in the kiln, (both mid fire and high fire) I put porcelain sand under them which seems to help with warping.

Lori Watts said...

Hi Linda - It's not the warp that causes problems in the oven, dishwasher, etc.; it's the little stick-on rubber doo-hickies. The adhesives comes unstuck.

Lori Watts said...

I have used porcelain sand (or alumina, or silica shot) under platters to good effect in electric kilns, but in the live flame atmosphere - which is basically a very strong, very hot wind blowing from the burners up the stack - treatments like that tend to blow around and stick to other things. :(

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

Well despite the warping, it looks gorgeous. Very nice. Congrats on the guest post on the Goodwill blog. Be well.

Linda Starr said...

Oh yeah that's true the sand could blow around. Well better luck next time.

Quietly Otaku said...

Wow love the colour and design to this, great that the glaze really picks up the decoration well

- Cindy - said...

When does a pot stay at home with you, and when does a pot get sold as a second?