Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stoneware Vegetable Steamer!

A few weeks ago I was throwing vegetable steamers: shallow bowls with holes, lids, and underplates, for cooking vegetables. See them in progress here.)All logic said they should work, and lo, they do! Got the first one out of the kiln today, and I couldn't wait to try it out.

From cold broccoli to cooked was 8 minutes, then it goes prettily to the table, where it rests on a matching plate. The broccoli was quite thoroughly cooked; if you prefer al dente, it would be faster. I love it when things work, don't you?
 Holes in the lid are key. Without them, the steam won't come up into the cooking chamber, and it will take forever to cook your veggies - just like a kiln that has too small a flue.
I have more in bisque that I can now start glazing for the next firing.

This piece is headed for the Portland Pottery Cafe and Store.

11 comments:

Jerry said...

I love this idea!! I may have to steal it, if that is alright. What a great piece, from stove to table. Voila!

Jordi Rovira said...

Ohhh!!, very good piece, I try to make one for family use.
Thanks for sharing.

Greetings Lori

Jordi

Sue Pariseau Pottery said...

Love the idea and the color (especially the dots!! Glad they worked out for you.

thegaylery said...

What a great idea! Makes me want to eat veggies.

goej said...

Wonderful idea. My only worry are the steamholes in the lid. - Don´t you get your fingers "steamed" when opening the lid while cooking?

Will it work if the holes are placed differently, - or maybe relocate the handle on the lid?

Anyway, i love the idear. Keep up the good work.

Lori Watts said...

Jerry - Steal away! That's why I posted it.
Gabi - I used a hot glove to remove the lid, which I would also have to do to take the lid off the bamboo steamer when it's in use.

DirtKicker Pottery said...

Love this!!! I When using any steamer you pretty much have to use a mitt to take off the hot lid. After the holiday craziness, I'm going to make one of these for myself. Awesome idea :)

Unknown said...

Brilliant!! Thank you for sharing~

- Cindy - said...

Hooray! That's awesome.

Mesnic said...

What a cool idea, I love it also and plan to make at least one also. Wish I had the time to make them before Christmas for the family.

Anonymous said...

i have been looking for someone to make me one. I have had 4 of these from a local potter, but he stopped making them. Is anybody selling???