Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Stoneware Vegetable Steamer!

A few weeks ago I was throwing vegetable steamers: shallow bowls with holes, lids, and underplates, for cooking vegetables. See them in progress here.)All logic said they should work, and lo, they do! Got the first one out of the kiln today, and I couldn't wait to try it out.

From cold broccoli to cooked was 8 minutes, then it goes prettily to the table, where it rests on a matching plate. The broccoli was quite thoroughly cooked; if you prefer al dente, it would be faster. I love it when things work, don't you?
 Holes in the lid are key. Without them, the steam won't come up into the cooking chamber, and it will take forever to cook your veggies - just like a kiln that has too small a flue.
I have more in bisque that I can now start glazing for the next firing.

This piece is headed for the Portland Pottery Cafe and Store.
Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails