Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Clay Times in Snowmaggedon

Unless you are living under a rock, you heard about our big storm on Tuesday. In actual fact it was not an epic or historic storm, but it was plenty big enough for me. We postponed Tuesday's classes at Portland Pottery until Friday, so I had a surprise snow day at home. What better time to think about spring?

Doug on Snow Mountain
It's time for me to start planning the Maine Pottery Tour once again. I sent out the email this morning, and have already gotten ten responses, including two new studios. I expect all of last year's participants to return, and that we will pick up five or ten more. I'm walking a line with this: I want the tour to grow, but I think it's a mistaken notion that more participating studios is always better, or that fast growth is better than slow. The way I would like the event to grow works like this: potters invite potters. This way we create nodes of participants who know each other, and can work together to publicize. I don't want to suddenly up our numbers to 80 isolated studios, most of whom will do little to get the word out and then wonder why their event didn't go well. I want everyone who participates in the tour to have a successful event, and they key to that is studios near each other working together.

The driveway and walkways are nearly shoveled out now, but the kiln...ugh, I don't even want to think about it. We are expecting three more storms in the next week (yeah, sure is Maine...) so I should probably dig it out, or I may not be able to find it!

No comments: