Thursday, June 19, 2014

Go-To Pots

Do you have certain pots that you automatically reach for, for certain uses? I mean, I guess everyone has a go-to coffee mug. (Oh, wait, re-read that sentence...No, most people probably grab whatever mug is nearest. Cretins. KIDDING, I'm kidding!)

ANYWAY.

I have a go-to mug, though it changes every couple of weeks. I have a go-to plate; it also changes, though less frequently. Having a go-to doesn't mean you don't use the others; my go-to plate is too small for some meals, so in those cases I choose another. It's just the one you reach for first.

This is my go-to vase. I do think different flowers demand different vase shapes and surfaces, but this one works with a great variety of blooms. I love the rustic, wood-fired surface next to the delicate floral shapes. The neck is just narrow enough to hug the stems of a small bouquet, and the belly wide enough to allow them to spread into a pretty arrangement.
The flowers all came from my garden! Irises, peonies, fleabane, and Snow-on-the-mountain.

Tim Cichocki, a dear friend and fellow Mainiac, made this vase in his Groundhog kiln in Norridgewock, Maine.

7 comments:

Linda Starr said...

I like how the top bulbous section seems to be holding the bunch of flowers lovingly.

Linda Starr said...

I like how the top bulbous section seems to be holding the bunch of flowers lovingly.

Linda Starr said...

two for the price of one

Deb said...

It's beautiful and just the right size. Deb

Lori Watts said...

@Linda - Yes! The bulb at the top really balances the shape of the flowers.

Lori Watts said...

@Linda - Yes! The bulb at the top really balances the shape of the flowers.

Lori Watts said...

The comment so nice I said it twice.