Friday, February 4, 2011

Waxing Night



I kind of like waxing night in the studio, even though it's mindless. Or maybe because it's mindless. Just put on the Rovers, belt out "Cockles and Mussels" right along with them, and don't think too hard.

You know what I hate? That big obvious line of unglazed clay that happens when you wax too far down on a lidded jar. I learned to mark with pencil the perimeter of the lid, so I can put wax only where I need it. The glaze can come right up to the line -- after all, it's not gonna run up. The pencil mark just burns away, around 04. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, there is a simple tip I never thought/heard of! Thank you!!!

-Rob, Simple Circle Studios said...

Clever! I always have a problem with figuring out how much area to wax, but I usually error the other way. I usually wax too little and the lid ends up stuck to the pot. I will have to try this next time.