Thursday, January 7, 2016

A Roll and a Roll


After the installation of the storm door, which has been on the to-do list for ten years, I finally finished a wallpaper frieze in the guest room that I planned at least nine years ago. Like a lot of postponed projects, it was not difficult to do - it was getting started that was hard. That and, until recently, I didn't have $40 laying around to buy wallpaper. But hey, two items crossed off the long-term to do list! I'm on a roll.

Speaking of rolls, it took three full rolls of wallpaper to completed the project, and then I had to buy a fourth one and use only about three feet of it. But - silver lining, y'all - the wallpaper is flocked with a low relief pattern, so the leftover roll makes a nice clay texture tool (at least until it disintegrates from repeated dampness.)

It works best on a horizontal surface, So, I roll my slab first (remembering to roll in several different directions, and flip it over frequently while rolling, to evenly and thoroughly compress my slab.) Then I lay the wallpaper strip on the slab, and roll the pin over it. The relief is pretty shallow, so I need to roll firmly.


Then peel the wallpaper up....


Then cut the slab to size, and use it to build a cylinder.



The relief is quite shallow, as I said, so I might want to use some iron oxide to make it pop a bit if I am planning to use glaze on that area.

I've used the same 16" length of wallpaper to make 3 or 4 cylinders now, with no noticeable deterioration, so it looks like it will last a good long time. Lowe's sells these frieze rolls in many different patterns, about $10 a roll.

They make good wall decor, too.

6 comments:

Frankie Perussault said...

This is a very interesting new way for decoration.

Linda Starr said...

I was thinking that before I even read you used it, save a little in case some peels off the wall. Glad to know I'm not the only one that takes 10 years to complete projects.

smartcat said...

It's not procrastination it's considering and solving details and problems! At least that is what I tell myself.
We potters are not content with making household items into studio items; now we will be peeling the paper off the walls!
Great idea!

Elaine Bradley said...

Shellac it, several coats on each side to plasticise it. Dust it with talc or ball clay before first use. Then the clay dust will prevent it from sticking after a couple of uses.

Barbara Rogers said...

Excellent...timing is everything...and now your wallpaper is where it belongs, everywhere it belongs

Ron said...

I have some serious home projects that I have been putting off. You are right. Getting started is the hardest part. AND it's so much easier to just go out to the studio and make some pots!
Love the wallpaper impression. I remember Jane Hamlyn from the UK mentioning using this sort of wall paper to impress the slabs for the bottoms of her altered serving dishes. Looks great.