Sunday, January 26, 2014

Whoa, Curve Ball!



Bustier baskets are some of the higher-end, more labor intensive pieces I can work on in the bleak mid-winter, when no one is waiting on orders. I like the baskets, they are fun and somewhat figurative without being overly literal. Here's a typical bustier basket from last year.:

I threw some larger items yesterday, and started the altering and decorating this afternoon. I was a little dissatisfied with the one I'm currently working on - thought it was blocky and ungraceful -  but I also know the ones you don't love are great chances to try new things- you already don't like it, right? Nothing to lose. Here's how it looked right off the wheel:
I started by cutting the overly-wide rim. Then bending it, then cutting a dart from the waist to interrupt the symmetry that was reading so static and dead.  Then I stretched the bottom a bit...and it started to be something I'd never envisioned:

Still needs lots of work, of course: a handle, some sprigs, and hours of slip trailing. But I am delighted with its transformation, and the way that clay can still surprise me.

3 comments:

Dharsi said...

I'm so glad you are back!

Liberty Stoneware said...

Thanks for the post, the movement in this form is really inspirational! I'm never usually satisfied when I try to alter something, but I may have to use your recommendation of "the ones you don't love are great chances to try new things"!

I think your new piece has a resemblance to Marilyn Monroe's dress in the wind, just upside down! I really enjoy how it sweeps to one side!

Unknown said...

There is a lot of freedom in not having to worry about messing a piece up cause its already destined for reclaim. My favorite Chinese proverb: "When you make a mistake, follow it through," Love the curves in your bustier baskets and your new piece.