Wednesday, June 5, 2013

What's that Smell?

It smells like...I think it's...propane!

I just shut down my bisque firing, because I can smell propane around the kiln. At first I thought...or told myself I thought...that it was just a leftover puff of gas from when I lit the burner, but three hours later, I still smell propane.

The burner guys can't come to check it out until Friday. It's not a danger; the smell only occurs when the main valve is open, but it is massively inconvenient, as due to classes and family obligations, it will put off the bisque until Thursday the 13th. Arrgh, people are waiting for these pots!! But it can't be helped. I don't want to be the idiot sputtering, "I thought it would be okay!" when my neighborhood blows up.

The glaze firing was going to happen on the 14th - already later than I had hoped. Now I guess it will be the 21st. If you are one of the folks waiting for ware, I'm sorry! I will get it to you as soon as I can.


3 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

I had a similar thing happen in when I was in NH. We were smelling propane just outside the kiln shed. It turned out to be a leak near the tank so the propane company did the repair and thankfully didn't charge us anything.
When it comes to gas it's always best to be on the safe side. I hope your up and running quickly.

smartcat said...

Better safe than sorry!

A potter friend nearly burnt his house down because he dismissed the smell of burning wires. Fortunately, he was home with fire extinguishers!

Hope your problems are quickly and easily solved.

Lori Buff said...

Getting it fixed is the smartest thing to do. No lives will be lost if the pots are late.