Friday, June 21, 2013

Blue Flame

A week or so ago, I had the service guy from Suburban Propane come and clean my burners. I feel like this is something I should be able to do myself, but I'm still sort of intimidated by burners, and I wanted to watch somebody else do it first - and anyway he had to come out and check for a leak I thought I smelled while trying to fire a bisque.

I am astonished at the difference in the flame! I guess I thought it would be subtle: it's not. The flame is now almost totally blue, much quieter - I never thought of that aspect at all - and giving off far less heat outside the kiln. I never knew how much heat I was losing until I wasn't anymore. Seriously I feel like the whole Global Warming thing might be my fault! But all that energy that was going to make a bunch of noise and radiate heat into the air is now going to heat the kiln, so I am in hopes my firings will be faster and more efficient.

Here's the load before I bricked up the door. These pots are headed for Monkitree in Gardiner, the Portland Pottery Cafe, the Center for Maine Craft, and On the Main, and maybe a couple of new listings on my website. 

3 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Congrats on a fix for burner problem. Those pots look like real winners!

Unknown said...

Good idea~ So, did you learn how to do it yourself? And- how often do they recommend we get the burners cleaned?
Thanks!

mejiaop said...

Ya tell us what you learned on how to clean them. Make that a post!!