Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Headwaters of Inspiration

"The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
 Marcel Proust 


I have an on-again, off again project at my other blog, for which I try to take a photo every day, usually while I am out on my morning walk. I try not to fuss over whether it is a good photo or not: the idea is to see. It's so easy to look but not to see. So I try to take photos of things, interesting or beautiful or ugly or curious. Those are my favorites, the curiosities, the ones that make you tell yourself a little story in your head.

Today I took a photo just a block from my house, of this  - what? exhaust duct? Vent of some kind? I've lived here for seven years, and I have never noticed this thing before, although it's not small - it's maybe ten feet high. It is at the back of a building, but still perfectly visible from the road.

This shape would make a great teapot body. I could interpret it somewhat literally, out of slabs, preserving the industrial character of it; or less literally, as a thrown piece, and focus on preserving the proportions. 

Inspiration comes from seeing what is really there.

Post a Comment
Related Posts with Thumbnails