Saturday, January 2, 2010

Casting My Bread

I've made one more resolution for 2010, that falls into the "good Karma" category. I am participating in microlending through Kiva, a microloan program targeting poor entrepreneurs in the developing world. I've chosen to direct my cash to this guy, a potter from Tajikistan. 

When I am scrambling around trying to decide if I should put off the oil or insurance bill, it's hard to remember that by most of the world's standards, my husband and I are crazy-rich. We have 1500 square feet all to ourselves, and a fifth of an acre. And a car, that pretty-much-always works. We have all the clean water we can use, coming out of taps right in the house! And if there is sometimes too much month left at the end of the money, and we have to eat more rice, lentils, and potatoes than I might wish, at least we never, ever fear not having enough to eat. Because all that is not true for most humans on the planet, I have been wanting a way to help. But because I am somewhat impoverished by American standards, it always felt like I didn't have enough to spare. I love Kiva for eliminating that excuse: I get the money back!! and for a small amount, I am able to help in a long-term way. 

For months now I have had a good feeling about 2010. Great things are going to happen this year! And I can help. 

3 comments:

Azra Momin said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm quite certain I read about kiva before but neglected to do anything. Only yesterday I said to my husband we're very fortunate to have everything we possibly need, if not everything we want, which is a good thing anayway. So many people are struggling just to stay alive. By those standards, yes, we're filthy rich.

Our faith teaches us that charity purifies our wealth, and is rewarded many, many times over.

Thank you for giving me another venue for collecting reward!

Linda Starr said...

I remember when Cynthia said she was doing this and I put it to the back of my mind, but we are truly so much more fortunate than so many others in the world; I plan on giving back more than I have in the past, thanks for the reminder.

Eric said...

Lori, nice post u should blogerzoom.com for advtg & mktg of ur blog..