Monday, January 5, 2009

100 Mugs in 100 Days

Something I've read lately -- maybe in Ceramics Monthly -- has given me an idea. This has been rattling around in my head since I read it wherever. It's not that it's so difficult to throw 100 mugs in 3 months; the idea is that, by concentrating on one functional form and trying to make each different from the last in a meaningful way, a potter might come up with new forms and ideas.  The guy in the article did 100 mugs in 100 days as a personal challenge, but doesn't it sound like a great event title? At the end of the one hundred days (April 11th by my count), a coffee-with-the-artist type opening, at which the guests employ the mugs, get a chance to talk with the artist (aka me) and hopefully buy a mug. 

I'm gonna do it. I've got the perfect location in mind, with a couple of back-ups, if that one doesn't work out. I also know where I can borrow some of those giant thermos things, the kind where you press a button on the top. Better get to making!

7 comments:

Jerry said...

Exciting challenge for yourself. Good luck!

Linda Starr said...

Wow, I think that is a great idea and a fun event. Love the mug at the top.

Mel said...

good idea! right now, we are making 600-800 chili bowls at our school's ceramic studio - all for a charity event. i made 10 so far, but find it a very rewarding experience - not just from the aspect of practicing throwing one bowl after the other, but also from trying out different forms and techniques on such a simple form. How calming!

I'm not sure I'll make 100 chili bowls, but good luck with your challenge! will you make one mug each day? or is it okay to make a couple of them a day and then take the weekend off?

Lori Watts said...

Mel--
hee hee hee... I guess I thought of it more as a block of time, because of course the mugs aren't really "made" until they are glazed and fired. Today I threw fifteen, for example. well, sixteen. One was ugly (that'll happen) so I squashed it.

Anonymous said...

Pretty neat concept and good challenge. I'd be interested to hear how your feelings along the journey to your deadline. In some ways its easier to throw mugs all the same.. less mentally exhausting when you get into a rhythm. (does that make sense?)
Best of luck with it! :)

Cheryl Alena Kinzel said...

That is a brilliant idea! I am borrowing it for as soon as this baby is out.
:)

Unknown said...

Such a wonderful challenge! I may follow your lead on this one, and drop you a line when I do. :)

Good luck!