Thursday, August 15, 2024

Kiln Maintenance, the Soda/Salt edition

You might remember my kiln was rebuilt in 2021. Tyler Gulden did the brainwork on this! I highly recommend his services if you are planning a kiln of your own - Tyler has forgotten more about kilns than most people will ever know. 

One of the features of my new kiln is a door on a pivot hinge. I still get a little joy-zing when I place the last conepack & realize I don't have to brick the door - just swing it shut! That door had to be built of IFB, as hardbrick would be too heavy for the hinge. 

As you may know, soda vapor is very destructive to softbrick. We had to brush a coating on the brick to protect it, or else the door would have fallen apart very quickly. It's time to replace that coating, as the softbrick is beginning to spall, which is bad just because I don't want to have to replace it, and also because the resulting debris can ruin ware. 

To clean this up, I use a curry brush - originally intended for grooming horses. I'll remove all the loose crumbles until I get down the solid brick, and then brush on an 80/20 mixture of kaolin & silica. That recipe also came from Tyler - I was surprised to see silica in it, because I assumed we wouldn't want to give the soda vapor anything to react with, but apparently once it glasses over, it protects the brick underneath. 

Like this: 

Like a lot of kiln maintenance, it's not my favorite job, but I can get kind of Zen about it. There's something satisfying about seeing the degraded brick slowly give way to solid material. Even boring jobs can bring the dopamine! 

Anyway, enough yapping about it, time to go do it. Oh and let me toss in, consider subscribing to my Patreon page! There's a free option, & paid options start at $1.50/month. Thanks! XO

No comments: