Possibly about to put a few more hours of kiln building experience under my belt. For several weeks I approached my flattened-arch situation by walking out every day & staring at the loose bricks for a while and then going back in the house. Finally I decided to grab a mallet & try to tap the bricks back into place. I didn't actually think it would work - they dropped for a reason - but I knew it would either a) work or b) cause the loose bricks to fall, thus ending the endless indecision over whether I really needed to go through the whole tiresome business of building an arch form.
The answer, of course, is yes, yes I do need to go through the whole tiresome business, and at least I have got that clear now so I can begin.
Since I sort of expected this result - that the bricks would fall - I put some scrap insulating foam board inside the kiln, so they would hit the floor and break. As you can see, I have numbered the remaining brick so I can just put them back where they were - they aren't all the same, some are #1 arch brick, some are #2 [insert extremely childish LOL here], and some are straights. I don't want to have to figure it all out again, so I went to work with my trusty sharpie marker.
|As you can see, it's a bonded arch, so entire sections don't fall if one brick gets loose|
This job still seems intimidating, despite the helpful numeration, and the fact that I built this arch in the first place, so I need to break it down to baby steps:
- Measure span & rise...or I may have those values in an old blog post.
- Do the math to arrive at the radius of the imaginary circle this arch would inscribe were it continued.
- Get plywood & slats
- Draw the necessary fraction of the imaginary circle on the plywood, twice
- Cut 2 slats the depth of the interior of the kiln, and screw the plywood to the slats to properly space the arch supports
- Attach slats between the plywood forms, along the curve
- No wait
- Ugh that's enough for one day
So, that's my to-do list for tomorrow! Fun City.