Here's what the loading looked like. This time there are some student pots in the kiln; it's the first firng that I've finally felt sufficiently confident of a good result to do so. In the three-quarters full photo, you can see some tiny pieces occupying the spaces between pots. These are refrigerator magnets. After I realized how very expensive propane was going to be, I started trying to figure out ways to increase the yield of the firing without raising prices. I may still have to raise prices but it does help to turn each little, inevitable space into a three-dollar bill. Or something like that. You can also see a couple of re-fires; I'm not enamoured of refiirng, generally, if the problem is just that you don't like the piece, as in my experience a second glaze firing will do little to improve it. In this case the problem was only that the pieces were a tad underfired, but I could see that they were good pots, with nice color & sheen. Just needed to get a little warmer.
Anyway. I am off to clean house & walk dogs, so I can get to #3 on my list. Most of the pots in this kiln already have destinations - how nice! photos later.