Friday, October 15, 2010

Turn, Turn, Turn


To everything (turn, turn, turn)
There is a season (turn, turn, turn)
And a time to every purpose under heaven.

Doug & I finally brought my wheel up from the summer studio. I am always excited to bring it out, every spring, but having it inside is kind of inspiring, too. Also inspiring: I am running out of pots, and I have several requests from stores to bring more. I may have to do one more firing at Watershed.

The door blocks are taking an unbelievably long time to dry - they are still flexible! And one split, because I didn't properly unstick it from the board it was resting on. Once the blocks are successfully finished, I will post about that process; there is very little on the Web about how it's done, so this is an opportunity for me to provide a real resource. Part of my intention in blogging the kiln-building was to make similar projects seem less intimidating to anyone out there in TV-land who was considering it: if I can do it, and eff up along the way, and eventually get it right, well, it looks like anyone could. 

I should, of course, have cast the door blocks first, or at least as soon as I knew the final dimensions of the door, but I often back into projects, doing the parts I know how to do first; otherwise my not-knowing may become an obstacle to ever getting started. The way to begin is to begin. 

It's a crap day in central Maine, cold and rainy: perfect for sitting in my warm dry studio, throwing pots. Turn, turn, turn. 

No comments: