Saturday, January 16, 2021

Yeah so...

 ...my bubble of energy last week? Got abruptly popped when a rightwing mob invaded the US capitol, intent on killing the Vice President and the Speaker of the House. I thought I was back, but no. My productivity is the least of the problems with this, of course, but THANKS ALOT, RIGHTWING MOB. I saw a post on social media asking something like, "Am I the only one having trouble focusing on anything other than the deadly pandemic and the imminent threat to democracy?" No, anonymous poster; no you are not. It's wreaking holy ol' havoc with my professional life. 

If everything really does have an equal and opposite reaction I am about to have my most amazing year yet - as is America. 

Anyway. 

I finally got the kiln loaded - a little loose, but I often get better pots that way. I went to candle the load but discovered that I need new thermocouples (well - I knew that. I kept putting it off, & now one of them doesn't work at all) and the burners are loud & flame more orange than blue - the burners need a good scrub with a wire brush. Thermocouples are easy to replace, and burners are easy to scrub, but it does mean the kiln is still not firing! Luckily nobody is waiting for these pots...yet. 

My list today:

  • Order three 36" thermocouples
  • Take burners apart & clean them
  • Pray for America

2 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

I am in the same boat as you. The events that unfolded left Jeff and I paralyzed for a couple of days. Very little work was done, both in clay and household chores. I am having anxiety about what could potentially happen during the inauguration this week. Let's hope some normalcy to return to our lives in 2021!

Lori Watts said...

Thanks, Michèle! I am glad to know I am not alone. Sending love to you & Jeff as we bite our nail through this next couple of days.