Saturday, October 21, 2017

The Potter is a Person in your Neighborhood


I frequently get calls and emails asking if I give lessons. I don't - not at my studio, anyway. I do teach both wheel-throwing and handbuilding at Portland Pottery, which is nearly 60 miles away but until recently the only option, other than colleges & universities, for those wanting to take pottery lessons in southern and central Maine.

That's all changing! A couple of years ago some enterprising folk opened Chase's Garage in York, a smaller studio with a gas-fired stoneware kiln. Last year my friend Malley Weber re-opened and expanded her teaching studio, Hallowell Clay Works, moving it to Water Street in Hallowell. I wrote a bit about HCW last year when it opened.

Over the last several months two more teaching studios have opened near me: Neighborhood Clay in Damariscotta, and Community Clay in Rockport. I just wanted to say, welcome to the neighborhood! It's always good to bring joy, creativity, and learning to more people.

In other news, I just found out that the Maine Pottery Tour, my pet project in late winter and spring for several years now, was listed in the 2018 Ceramic Arts Yearbook and Annual Buyers Guide.

That's us at #10!

The guide goes out (went out already, actually) to Ceramics Monthly  & Pottery Making Illustrated subscribers, and will be distributed at the 2018 NCECA conference.

Cool, right? This has the potential to bring a whole new audience to the Pottery Tour.

No comments: