Friday, July 17, 2015

Might Take a Train, Might Take a Plane

...but if I have to walk, I'm gonna go there just the same.

Just got some exciting news: I've been selected to be a demonstrator in the Process Room at the 2016 NCECA conference in Kansas City! The Process Room features artists doing 30-minute demos of building or decorating techniques - if you were in Providence you recall the room was constantly full to overflowing.

I'll be demonstrating the thrown-and-stretched butter dishes I wrote about a few years ago.

If I were in my depressed/cynical mode, I would make note that this is not a paid gig, and that it's surprising to me how many organizations are happy to ask artists to work for free, including organizations of and for artists. (*cough*Ceramics Monthly*cough* ) But hey! I applied knowing it was not paid, save for my NCECA membership, and I am damn glad to be doing it. This might be the ONE time that the exposure really is the important part.

Muddy Waters has more to say on the subject:

4 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Congrats, Lori. I know you'll have fun and others will benefit from your demo. Glad you're thinking of how to get there!

Linda Starr said...

well deserved Lori, I hope you get tons of exposure

smartcat said...

This is such great news! I loved all the short demos in Providence. I probably won't make it to Kansas city, but will look forward to a download of your demo!
Remember Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy: DON'T PANIC! and always carry a towel!

Lori Watts said...

Thanks all! Smartcat- always carry a towel is good advice generally, and especially for a potter.