Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pussy Cat, Pussy Cat

...where have you been?
I've been down to London to visit the Queen.
Pussy cat, pussy cat, what did you there?
I frightened a little mouse, under her chair.
Actually I've been right here, just not sitting in this chair as much. So far as I know there are no mice beneath it, and if there are, someone - a number of someones, in fact - is not doing his job.

Whenever I read a blog post in which the author apologizes for not posting, I am always amused because, really, unless you are Duncan Black, or Dooce, does anybody even notice? Not that there's anything wrong with that! It is sometimes a comfort to me that if I slack off blogging for a while, no harm done.

I haven't just been napping, eating, and reading the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire. (Completely off topic, I was suddenly reminded of that little ditty kids use to annoy adults:
♫ This is the song that never ends
It just goes on and on, my friends!
Some people started singing it, not knowing what it was
And still they keep on singing it because-because-BECAUSE
This is the song that never ends...
A Song of Ice and Fire is like that: it apparently never ends. I should probably just quit while I still can.)

I've also been making lots of stuff, for my first craft fair in years:


This show puts the "dinky" in "rinky-dinky," but 1)I am rusty in the ways of art fairs, and it's probably better to get the bugs out; and 2)Portland Pottery is picking up the tab, as the event is in their neighborhood, and they want to have a presence.

As much as I enjoy the freedom to make whatever comes to mind, I suffered a bit of writer's (potter's?) block when my mind shifted gears from filling orders. I blew through the blockage with a new look, and created a body of work specific to this show.

Faceting and slip trailing are like chocolate and peanut butter.

I honestly don't know what to expect, though I think I can safely say I am in no danger of having my head turned by the sudden influx of wealth. I promise, it won't change me! No, really, I wouldn't be surprised to walk away with $100, or $1000; more than that would surprise me. Though the money is likely to be a bit underwhelming, I will be using this event to hand out business cards, brochures, and info about my new website.

The one I'm not done building yet. That, however, is an adventure for another post.

1 comment:

www.sagakeramik.se/blogg said...

The pots look great:) No need to think about pottersblock :)