Saturday, March 19, 2011

First or Second?

Here's my most favoritest pot from last weekend's firing. Unfortunately it's a second...or is it? You be the judge. The glaze ran, as a result of a whole boatload of soda and salt, and stuck the pot to the shelf, creating a big, crusty goober on the bottom. (For the technorati, "goober" is the term for a blob of glaze or soda marring the pot; "woogie" is the name for a bit of kilnwash or a shard stuck to the glaze.) I inherited my father's trusty bench grinder, however, and between that and a Kemper stick, the bottom is smooth, although the goober is still visible. So, technically it's a second, but when is a flaw not a flaw? When it doesn't compromise the function in any way, and when the pot is more beautiful for it. 

You can sort of see which way I'm leaning. 



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lorie~ I'm ok with a goober!! I say it's a first :)

BTW, fired my gas kiln for the first time yesterday and thought of you. Your posts inspired me! Thank you for helping me build the courage to go forward... Though I did not build my kiln, like you did!

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

I'd say it's a first - with a special bonus! Very nice!