Sunday, November 29, 2009

Before the Firing

I feel way organized! Four days before the firing, I've made cone packs, finished glazing and mixed soda salad, wadding, & door mud. Today I am starching and packing the pots for transport, and dreaming of the day when I can skip this step, and do the glaze firing in my kiln. 

Of course, this all happened because I was originally planning to fire this weekend, but when the weather turned crappy (miles beyond merely crappy, actually: 35 degrees and pouring rain, the worst possible weather for loading and firing), I changed my plans. This is yet another example of my poor business acumen: it's the holiday season! Those pots could be in stores, where people could be buying them! Every day that I put off firing is a day when someone buys something else for their loved one for Christmas! If I were a smart businesswoman, I would have put my personal discomfort behind the opportunity to sell more stuff.

Guilty as charged, and I actually do feel a tiny bit guilty about it. On the other hand, I am better prepared this year, so my existing accounts are sufficiently stocked; they will certainly not run out before this load is delivered. 

And I am warm and dry, with a cat on my lap. Cross your fingers for good weather Wednesday and Thursday!

3 comments:

That Lynn Girl said...

Oooh dang, you have to tote your pots somewhere else to glaze fire? What's up with that? I don't even HAVE a kiln yet, so I have to tote bone dry stuff too! What do you mean by starching?

I enjoy your work AND your blog.
Thanks!
Lynn

Lori Watts said...

Hey Lynn - I checked out your blog! Cool stuff. Putting you on the blogroll.
Yeah, I have a gas kiln, and it can get to Cone 10, but it is so old and loose that it takes hundreds of dollars in propane to get it there, and then there's the constant struggle to keep it in reduction -- a struggle I always lose, at least partially. So I fire at the Watershed Center ( I used to work for them, so they cut me a deal). As places to hang out go, Watershed is a good one, but it would still be nice to just stay home and fire. *Sigh* Maybe next summer.

DalkullanJewelry said...

Interesting blog, like finding out about how you make your pottery!
Heather